Daily Rant: Cardinals demolished in series opener against Pirates
The Cardinals kicked off a three game home set with the Pirates in poor fashion on Thursday night as they were defeated 14-5. Adam Wainwright had another very poor showing and the offense was held to two hits through the last six innings. Find out more after the jump.
|WP||K. Correia (4-6)|
|LP||A. Wainwright (6-8)|
- Jon Jay, Carlos Beltran, and David Freese picked up singles. Jay scored a run, while Beltran and Freese each drove in one a piece.
- Matt Holliday had a two hit night. He hit two singles to raise his average to .303.
- Allen Craig also had a two hit night as he hit his eleventh home run of the season. He ended the night with three RBI.
- Sam Freeman pitched a scoreless inning.
- Rafael Furcal, Yadier Molina, and Daniel Descalso were held hitless. Furcal and Descalso did reach base on walks, though.
- The Cardinals stranded seven runners. Matt Holliday led the way with two.
- Adam Wainwright had an awful outing, as he gave up seven earned runs and twelve base runners through five innings. He struck out seven, but allowed two home runs.
- Eduardo Sanchez and Fernando Salas each gave up two earned runs in their innings of work. Sanchez gave up a third home run for the Cardinals pitching.
- Marc Rzepczynski pitched the ninth inning and gave up three earned runs including the fourth Pirates home run of the game.
3) Matt Holliday – A two hit night, but he didn’t push any runs across the plate.
2) Carlos Beltran – Beltran picked up another RBI to pad his All Star argument.
1) Allen Craig – Craig proved why he is vital to this team with another home run.
Jeff Karstens takes the mound for the Pirates. He is 0-2 with a 6.35 ERA. Meanwhile, 10-3 Lance Lynn leads the way for the Cardinals. He is looking to rebound from one of his worst starts of the season. Currently he has a 3.23 ERA. Game time is set for 1:15
Read This Article: Daily Rant: Cardinals demolished in series opener against Pirates
Tags: cardinals, carlos, craig, descalso, hit, inning, night, strong